Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

R-
I mostly enjoyed this. I wouldn't call it essential viewing, but it's a reasonably agreeable way to pass the time. "What's this?" you ask. "Don't you utterly despise Jane Austen?" I offer three reasons that I enjoyed the movie:

1. It is funny (intentionally). No, seriously, it is. And not just incidentally funny, but I might go so far as to say there's more of this than of the heavy breathing stuff, which is nice.

2. It is funny (unintentionally). It is rife with (presumably accidental) wildly inappropriate citations of other movies. In order: (1) the idyllic scenes of "rural life" are straight out of Hobbitton (even the mud is clean), (2) there is a scene on the cliffs somewhere that I think is the same landscape that was used in one of the LotR movies, the first or second one -- I expected a legion of Orukai mounted on giant wolf things to stampede over the horizon, and (3) when Mr. Darcy comes all slo-mo out of the fog, I fully expected a Matrix-style action scene. Of course, there wasn't one, but it would have been awesome.

3. I kind of get it. Mostly thanks to an NYRB article. I won't pretend to be really excited about Jane Austen now, but I can what might be interesting in it.

K--I also enjoyed this, mostly for the same reasons. It was unself-conciously funny. It managed to be relevant without losing the period feel (I could imagine someone's little sister acting just like Mr Darcy's. They even the managed to make the dancing seem really fun, rather than the stiff interpretation of the period that I've seen before.) And Donald Sutherland is the man. Seriously.

That said, I've never read the book, and I'm not an avid Jane Austin fan, so I can't really comment on whether it does the book justice. Some fans (I know you're out there) would disagree. Violently. Hopefully, some of them will comment.

1 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I expected to hate this movie - other Austen fans were up in arms about inaccuracies in the setting, liberties taken with the book and the story and the characters, it was the most insulting thing they'd ever seen. As I said, I expected to be among them. Instead, I fell head over heels in love with the movie. It is a brilliant adaptation of the book, and effectively brings out the humor of Austen that is so often overlooked. The fact that it doesn't slavishly adhere to Austen's dialog is a good thing - the moviemakers are able to tell the entire story without it taking 5 hours, and many of the changes serve to strengthen the characterization. I love the music and the scenery and the costumes, and the fact that everyone's hair is not perfect, and that there are actual farm animals in evidence. Compared to other Austen adaptations (which I have enjoyed immensely) this one feels a lot more real to me.
And I think that scene on the cliffs was actually shot in England, not New Zealand like the LOTR films.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home