Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Once (2007)

R: I think that what I like most about this movie is that it's content to leave much of its story untold. It would have been easy, in focusing on the two principal characters, to either push all of the other characters out of the movie entirely or give them quaint side stories. Instead, I think they revealed just enough of the various folks who drift through to suggest that they had lives off-screen, even if they didn't happen to be the lives that we're interested in. It gives the whole thing a sense of groundedness, which, uh, I'll just say that musicals tend to lack. IMHO.

Of course, I have to talk about the thing I like most because, in case you haven't heard, it's fantastic. It's still at the State! Go see it!

A quick side note -- I'm related to a large number of people who more or less look like Glen Hansard. He could have showed up at my Great Aunt's jubilee and passed as one of my dad's cousins.


K: Just a quick note:
First of all, Ross stole the man's nose. Seriously.
More importantly, this is a beautiful, unexpected movie with lovely music. So see it already!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home