Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Notes on a Scandal (the first half hour) (2006)

R: Kate and I have noticed that there exists an entire genre of films, "bad movies for people who aren't supposed to like bad movies." We've also noticed that such movies tend to get an artificial "art house" bump in their rotten tomatoes ratings. "Notes on a Scandal" is 87%"fresh." You can guess what we think of it.

Yes, Judy Dench is a good actress. Yes, Cate Blanchett is hot. Yes, they both have British accents. This does not a movie make! The characters are flat, the story is uncompelling, and Philip Glass's score is ridiculous. You object: "But Ross, it was nominated for four Oscars? These include best screenplay and best score?" Honestly, I don't know. What I do know is that the clever narrative device in this film is... Judy Dench reads a voiceover taken from... her diary! I know that during the opening credits the staccato cello music starts -- and doesn't stop. I present this as incontrovertible evidence that I am right, and the Academy is wrong.

I'm posting a link here to a spoiler for the movie -- a complete synopsis that will confirm for you that, despite claims to the contrary, there are no plot twists. I hope that, after reading it, any lingering curiosity you might have had about the movie will be satisfied.


K: I agree. I thought that Judy Dench was pretty good, but this movie gives new meaning to the term "plot driven". Except that the plot isn't that interesting.

1 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Blogger Jennie said...

HA HA HA! Dan really wants to see this and I keep saying "But the score is by Glass! *whine* whinge *whine*"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home